( 4UMF NEWS ) Third Elmo Accuser Steps Forward:
The Emmy award-winning man behind Sesame Street’s “Elmo” is now facing his third allegation of underage sex in two weeks. This time puppeteer Kevin Clash is facing a lawsuit accusing him of sexual activity with a 16-year-old in 2000.
The accuser, now 29, will be filing a lawsuit in Manhattan Federal Court Tuesday, says the man’s attorney Jeff Herman.
He said the lawsuit is being filed as a “John Doe” because the accuser does not want to use his name.
A spokeswoman for the puppeteer said, “Mr. Clash believes this lawsuit has no merit.”
Herman said his client started writing a book in 2009 describing his experience with Clash. The lawyer said he will have pages from that book at a press conference Tuesday to announce the lawsuit.
Herman said the accuser is from the South and was in high school when he came to New York 13 years ago for modeling work.
He said his client connected with Clash — who went under the pseudonym “Craig” and claimed to be only 30 years old — on a gay chat line. The two chatted for a couple of days and then Craig invited the 16-year-old to his apartment.
In the apartment, Herman said his client realized Craig was older than 30. They also engaged in “some sexual activity.”
Herman said his client met Clash again in 2003 and 2004, and over a period of time figured out who Clash was.
“He saw Elmo dolls, an Emmy award and photographs of Elmo with movie stars,” said Herman.
Last week, 24-year-old Cecil Singleton of Manhattan — also represented by Herman — filed a $ 5 million lawsuit, accusing Clash of sexual relations when he was 15. The week prior, another young man, Sheldon Stephens, said he had intercourse with Clash when he was only 16 years old.