( 4UMF NEWS ) Teen Loses Stomach After Drinking Nitrogen Cocktail:
According to the Guardian, Gaby Scanlon from Lancashire, England, was celebrating her 18th birthday last Thursday when she began to feel sick, “becoming breathless and developing severe stomach pain.” The teen was taken to the hospital, where she was “diagnosed with a perforated stomach.”
Doctors operated immediately, and Scanlon’s stomach was removed. Police say she would have died had surgeons not performed the total gastrectomy, the BBC reports.
As of Monday afternoon, Scanlon is said to be in serious, but stable condition. The BBC explains:
People who have had a gastrectomy will still be able to lead a normal life and eat and drink regular food but they will need to eat smaller amounts and take vitamin supplements to make sure they get enough nourishment.
The teenager is thought to have suffered an adverse reaction from consuming a “correctly prepared Jagermeister drink made with liquid nitrogen,” the Telegraph writes.
Adding liquid nitrogen, which creates a steaming “cauldron effect,” to drinks or food is not an uncommon practice. However, since Scanlon’s emergency surgery, the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency has issued a warning, telling consumers to “take care when drinking cocktails made with this substance,” ITV reports.