( 4UMF NEWS ) Cocaine Found On Hair Of Cruise Captain:
But the evidence did not prove that Francesco Schettino, charged with abandoning his post after dozens of people died in last month’s horrific wreck, actually used the drugs, according to a court-appointed expert.
However, the cocaine was not found within Schettino’s hair or in his urine — usual signs that someone ingested the drug.
Lawyers for the survivors are demanding another exam, believing that Schettino was using drugs and that the original test must have missed the traces or been mishandled.
Zerbi said he he believes the samples “more than anything else, had been badly preserved and contamination might have resulted.”
Experts also suggested that Schettino may have been around the cocaine even if he didn’t consume any.
A statement on Codacons’ website also claims that Schettino admitted to taking tranquilizers the night of the crash — but traces of that medication were not found in his system.
The massive cruise liner, carrying more than 4,000 passengers, crashed into a reef near a tiny Tuscan island Jan. 13, tipped over onto its side and slid into the sea.
Story @ NYDailyNews
- Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino faces 19 charges (calgaryherald.com)
- Domnica Cemortan: I was in Love with Costa Concordia’s Captain Schettino (ibtimes.com)
- Francesco Schettino, captain of the doomed cruiser Costa Concordia. Source: AP – Herald Sun (heraldsun.com.au)
- Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino faces 19 charges (vancouversun.com)
- Italy Costa cruise ship survivors to get compensation (leggotunglei808.wordpress.com)