April 19, 2014









4 Children Badly Burned Playing With Gas Can

4 Children Badly Burned Playing With Gas Can

( 4UMF NEWS ) 4 Children Badly Burned Playing With Gas Can:

Four children were recovering Wednesday after being badly burned in an explosion sparked by a gas can placed next to a small fire pit in the backyard of a Texas home.

The children, between the ages of 4 and 11, were playing unsupervised around 1 p.m. Monday when one picked up a gas can and apparently sprinkled fuel on a fire pit, fire officials said.

The gas can was then placed by the fueled fire, causing an explosion that sent both firefighters and neighbors rushing to the home in McKinney, north of Dallas.

Four of the children were critically burned and had to be airlifted to Parkland Hospital, a major burn center in Dallas. There were at least two other children in the yard who were unhurt or treated for lesser injuries.

Parkland Hospital told the Daily News it could not confirm the condition of the children, but said at least one young girl was still recovering at the facility.

All the children are expected to survive.

“I believe we are going to be very blessed,” said Stacie Durham, a McKinney Fire Department spokeswoman. “My understanding is that most of them had their backs to it, so they didn’t inhale the flames, causing injuries to the lungs.”

The children do not speak English, which complicated the efforts of firefighters trying to piece together what happened, the Dallas Morning News reported.

Neighbor Deb Martin was one of the first people to rush to the scene after hearing the explosion and crying.

“It was a whoosh!” she told the Morning News. “I don’t know how else to describe it, and the kids were screaming. I thought maybe it was a firecracker, but they kept screaming. Some of the kids were running from the backyard.”
The children she encountered were severely hurt. One little girl had “her whole back and the back of her legs were peeling,” said Martin. “She was about six.”

Source